About OHSAS 18001-Occupational Health & Safety Management Systems
The standard provides an outline for any organizations, regardless of their complexity, business scale or nature of business, to holistically manage and supervise their occupational safety and health hazard. The OHSAS 18001 is intended and designed to enable any scale of organizations to demonstrate their commitment towards providing a safe and efficient working environment to all employees. It will simply help the organization to identify and understand their OHS risks and to improve upon their performance by actively managing these activities internally.
The organizations productivity can be further improved through the rationale of OHSAS 18001 by focusing continuously on minimizing the occupational hazard risk within the workplace.
OHSAS 18001 is the latest version and certification requirement for the Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems. It has been formulated/created on the published criteria of the BS 8800 and the Management Regulations 1992.
The OHSAS 18001 certificate defines and represents the standard for an occupational health and safety (OH&S) management system, this will enable any organization to control and manage its OH&S risks and improve further towards its overall performance.
Based on the Occupational Health and Safety Assessment Series of OHSAS 18001 facilitates any organization to
The occupational health and safety assessment series OHSAS 18001 helps and leads the organizations to create a more defined occupational health and safety policies and objectives. The intention of this standard is to guide and achieve an accident-free/zero-accident on any workplaces and heading towards an Integrated Safety Policy through the OHSAS 18001. This will avoid the growing incidents on any sites and or within the organizations. The OHSAS 18001 certification is applicable to all industries and sectors.
OHSAS 18001 does not modify any product or service safety; instead, it will continuously safeguards the health and safety of every employees and other stakeholders within the organization.
This standard has been replaced by ISO 45001 :2018 .
The Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S) Management System is a comprehensive description aimed to facilitate and support any organization to control OH&S risks and continuously improve its daily operations and performance. A safety oriented approach can be integrated within the company’s processes linked with the OHSAS 18001:2007 Certification to demonstrate a commitment towards a safety working environment and an advanced protection to all employees against any injuries that may occur at a work place.
OHSAS 18001:2007 has been established to be fully compatible/identical with the other management system standards such as ISO 9001:2008 and ISO 14001:2004, this will facilitate the integration of quality, environmental and OH&S management systems by any organizations.
The OHSAS specification is applicable to any organization that wishes to:
- Establish an OH&S management system to liquidate or decrease risk to any employees and other interested parties who may be exposed to OH&S risks associated with in its daily/operational activities.
- Implement, maintain and continually improve an OH&S management system.
- Assure and aligns the organizations conformances based on its stated OH&S policy.
- Demonstrate and promote such conformance to others positively.
- Seek certification/registration of its OH&S management system by an external organization.
- Make a self-determination and declaration of conformance with this OHSAS specification.
Brief about the ISO standard
Most of the leading companies in the world are adopting and practicing the OHSAS 18001 – Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems. It is very essential to any organization to maintain and align their Health and Safety Management principles and also to upkeep the organizations reputation in the global scene. Companies which have implemented the above systems receives the benefit of the marketing edge and it facilitates them to continuously maintain throughout the implemented employee protection program. The distinguishing factor in today’s competitive market will represent the organizations commitment to protect the health and safety of every employees.
Adapted from the OHSAS 18001:2007
Customer Satisfaction can be remarkably achieved through the timely delivery of products that will consistently meet customer requirements whilst safeguarding their health and property. Reduced operating costs can be attained by decreasing down-time through incidents, ill health and reducing costs associated with the legal fees and compensation. Improved and promote the stakeholder relationships by safeguarding the health and property of employees, customers and suppliers. Legal compliance can be accomplished by understanding how statutory and regulatory requirements impacts the organization and its customers. It provides a clear communication channel within the organization to gather relevant information on legal and other requirements to employees and interested parties. Improvement on handling risk management can be facilitated through clear identification of potential incidents and implementation of proper controls and measures. The standard will be able to present a proven business credentials that could be endorsed through independent verification against recognized standards. Ability to obtain potential businesses will be achieved particularly where procurement specifications require certification as a pre-qualification/conditions. Establish an OH&S MS well-focused on eliminating, minimizing the risk to employees, customers and suppliers whom can be exposed to any related OH&S risks associated activities. Provides a greater participation and obligation at all levels in the organization which will be resulting in an improved health and safety culture.
Customer Satisfaction can be remarkably achieved through the timely delivery of products that will consistently meet customer requirements whilst safeguarding their health and property.
Reduced operating costs can be attained by decreasing down-time through incidents, ill health and reducing costs associated with the legal fees and compensation.
Improved and promote the stakeholder relationships by safeguarding the health and property of employees, customers and suppliers.
Legal compliance can be accomplished by understanding how statutory and regulatory requirements impacts the organization and its customers.
It provides a clear communication channel within the organization to gather relevant information on legal and other requirements to employees and interested parties.
Improvement on handling risk management can be facilitated through clear identification of potential incidents and implementation of proper controls and measures.
The standard will be able to present a proven business credentials that could be endorsed through independent verification against recognized standards.
Ability to obtain potential businesses will be achieved particularly where procurement specifications require certification as a pre-qualification/conditions.
Establish an OH&S MS well-focused on eliminating, minimizing the risk to employees, customers and suppliers whom can be exposed to any related OH&S risks associated activities.
Provides a greater participation and obligation at all levels in the organization which will be resulting in an improved health and safety culture.
The Nbiz GO-AIM-HIGH methodology was developed to provide the continuous success for every clientle’s project. It represents the Nbiz Team Consultants activities during the involvement from the initial phase until the last phase to conclude the project successfully.
The acronyms on the GO-AIM-HIGH methodology are already tested, applied and proven methods by the Nbiz Team Consultants during the implementation of the project. These are the activities performed which represents the corresponding phases related during the project implementation.
We are delighted to provide you the detailed explaination of our GO-AIM-HIGH Methodology on the below illustration.
G – Gathering of Data
The first step in the IMS Consultancy is gathering of data. In this, our consultants will be gathering all different types of relevant and existing records that are already with the client.
O – Organizational strength and weakness identification
The second step is aiming to identify the organizational strength and weaknessess.
A - Analyze and review documents, current processes and procedures
The third step in the IMS Consultancy is to conduct Gap Analysis of the current structure of the company which includes review of documents, processes and procedures in order to determine compliance to the required Management System standard. It is through this step that consultants and the company's key personnel can collaboratively formulate appropriate plan and activities to respond to gaps identified against the standard.
I-Improve, create and implement processes and procedures
The fourth step of the IMS consultancy is based on the gaps identified during step
1. Improvements and/or creation of documents meeting the requirements of the standard shall be initiated by the consultant in close coordination with the company’s key personnel. Documents shall include policies, manuals, procedures, forms/templates, instructions, etc. The documents created/improved shall be meeting the standard requirements and shall be suitable to the business activities and culture of the company. The company’s authorized representative shall review the documents and must be approved by the Top Management before issue. Additionally, Nbiz Infosol consultants shall guide companies to implement the set procedures and processes in order to comply with standard requirements. Appropriate trainings shall be provided to key personnel in order to provide or develop competence in the implementation of the system.
Once standard is established, Nbiz Infosol consultants shall guide companies to monitor performance as per the required standard through performance measurement, check compliance and conformances through audits and inspections. Nonconformance shall be identified, reported and recorded accordingly.
As part of the monitoring and checking, Nbiz Consultants shall assist companies in reviewing and re-assing their environmental aspects/impacts and occupational hazards and risks. The review and re-assessment shall be done on a regular basis or as per requirement of the ISO 14001:2004 and OHSAS 18001:2007 standards.
I-Implement corrective actions and recommendations
Once the nonconformities are identified, Nbiz Infosol consultants shall assist companies to identify root causes, implement corrections, corrective actions and preventive actions for nonconformance. Recommendations shall also be considered for continual improvement.
Reports shall be generated in all phases of the consultancy. Nbiz Infosol recognized that reports and records are essential to prove evidences of performed activities. Reports shall be properly channeled and submitted in correct and appropriate formats.
H-Head towards certification
Once, documents, procedures and processes are already established and implementation is considered adequate, Nbiz Infosol shall facilitate for the certification process of the companies. Nbiz Infosol consultants shall render support during all phases of the certification audits starting from planning with external auditors, during the actual audits, closing of the nonconformance and follow-up audits.
Scoping on the required scope of certification. The general information required for the application and scoping are as follows:
Initial System Study on the relevant field of certification applied and interested for, involved activities of the organization, no. of employees and the details on the available technical resources, any related subsidiary/entities.
Any related information within the organization that will effect on the requirements to fulfill the conformity related processes, consultations on the management system, and requirements on seeking the certifications.
Submission of the required and improved documents to obtain approval and certification from the authorized certification body.
- Coordinating Audit Plan – Our consultants will closely facilitate on the schedule communicated by the client. The audit plan will be prepared by the certification body and communicated to the client.
Submission of the required and improved documents to obtain approval and certification from the authorized certification body.
Facilitate to close NC’s – Our consultants will be assisting on developing and enhancing the identified non-conformances by the Auditor of the certification body.
Facilitate in submitting non-conformities to certification body – Upon the identification of non-conformities, the consultants will be facilitating on clearing and completing all the identified non-conformities of the client to be submitted to the certification body.
Co-ordination for approval of non-conformities and releasing of certificates from the certification body and providing the certificate the client.
Nbiz Infosol Certification is in co-ordination with many leading certification body which are internationally recognized to help our client on achieving any relevant ISO Standards.
The phases on the above diagram explains only the commonly used processes/activities in order to provide a clear summary explanation/objective during the certification process.
Nbiz Consultants Team will facilitate mostly on gathering the requirements, coordinating on the schedule, as well as submitting the requirements to the certification body.
Nbiz Infosol will not have any control/influence on the schedule/decision by any Certification Body.
Kindly note that there are extra phases involved on each relevant standards that the Certification Body Representative may add and apply whenever necessary.
1. Phase I - Application and Scoping on the required certification.
The general information required by the Certification Body Representative for the application and scoping are as follows:
- Any related information within the organization that will effect on the requirements to fulfill the conformity related processes, consultations on the management system, and requirements on seeking the certifications.
2. Phase II - Audit Planning
- Identification of Audit Criteria, scope and objectives.
- Audit Schedule preparation
- Co-ordination with clients regarding audit details and logistics.
- Preparation of checklists, audit formats, etc.
3. Phase III – Stage 1 - Certification Audit
The Certification Body Auditors will perform the following:
- Certification Body Representative will gather detail for the company’s background/information and reviewing the existing documents to understand and evaluate the company’s set objectives, policies and procedures.
- Assessing the processes in place and comparing on the set objectives is being facilitated by our consultants in order to know if it is aligned within the organizations objectives.
Phase III - Stage II – Audit (On-site)
- Opening Meeting
- Audit execution and identification of non-conformities
- Closing Meeting
- Follow-up Audit
- Audit Closure
4. Phase IV - Certification approval process is to validate the organizations system compliance and implementation. The certification can be a useful tool to boost the company’s credibility. This will also demonstrate that the products and services are being met along with the customers’ expectations. On every organization the certification is a legal or contractual requirement.
5. Phase V - Surveillance Audit - are being performed after a year of the certification. The purpose of the surveillance audit is to check if the standards are being implemented and maintained.
6. Phase VI – Re-scoping/Change of Scope – this is to continuously evaluate the continual fulfillment and improvement of all the required and relevant documents within the management system standard. In case there are changes to be implement on the new services/processes/products or regulatory authority’s requirements, changes required from the Top Management the Phase III – Certification Audit shall be applicable.
7. Phase VII – Certificate Renewal – the re-certification renewal demonstrates that the organization is continuously striving for improvement into the implemented Management System in order to achieve and meet the client’s satisfaction and regulatory authority’s requirements/expectations.
- Nbiz Infosol can assist your organization to acquire any relevant ISO certifications which is well-known internationally. It will generate additional business opportunities, exhibit the organizations compliance and commitment to the best-practices in any industries in order to be more competitive in today’s market.
- Nbiz Infosol consists of professionals which are high level and practically experienced and very senior Project Directors along with our well-experienced and knowledgeable Senior Consultants.
- Nbiz Infosol location advantage (Since we are an Abu Dhabi based company, we are very close to the client and this will be helpful for communications and coordination purposes).
- Nbiz Infosol strongly promotes and implements the facilitations on the relevant Management System not only for the sake of certification but to really make a difference in the processes and procedures that will be implemented throughout any organization.
- Nbiz Infosol consist of some project members which are also SKEA assessors this can add value to the assignment as Abu Dhabi government is highly recommending Organizational Excellence program across Abu Dhabi Emirate (and UAE).
- Nbiz Infosol prices are very competitive in the market without compromising our quality of service which in return provides our company’s commitment and to maintain repeated orders from our clients.
- Nbiz Infosol is driven by professional Senior Consultants with good cross functional knowledge of the other standards such as ISO 14000, OHSAS 18000 which will also add value to the project.
- Nbiz Infosol can be a good channel to assist the standardization within the organization. It will help to promote worldwide trading, encouraging rationalization, maintaining quality assurance and environmental protection, as well as improving the security and communication at all levels within the organization.
- Nbiz Consultants Team will work collaboratively and will be able to support the organization within the entire certification process.
- Nbiz Consultants Team drives the standardization within the organization to promote worldwide trading, encouraging rationalization, maintaining quality assurance and environmental protection, as well as improving the security and communication at all levels within the organization.
- Nbiz Infosol offers a comprehensive services that can help the organization to achieve the OHSAS 18001:2007 certification as follows:
- Our well-experienced Nbiz Consultants Team provides assistance on establishing and improving an OHS Policy and objectives for your organization.
- Nbiz Consultants Team will be facilitating on identifying the required documents for the certification.
- Nbiz Consultants Team are providing training for the organizations key personnel on implementing the OHSAS standard.
- Nbiz Consultants Team visits and assist the clients to identify risks, hazards and applicable laws and regulations.
- Nbiz Consultants Team are fully experienced on proposing new implementation for the organizations benefit such as performing an internal audit and performing a management review.